An Outback Experience - Reef n Beyond Guided Holidays
- Duration: 8 Days
- Location: Airlie Beach, QLD
- Eungella Rainforest Walk
- Best place to view a north Queensland Platypus
- Spotlighting nocturnal animals in the rainforest
- Sleep in Australia’s largest rainforest
- Desert Dreaming Centre experience inc corroboree and dinner
- Commentary on the culture of the Australian Aboriginal
- Tree of knowledge
- Fossicking for Sapphires, Opals and Gold
- Australian Stockman’s Hall of fame
- Cobb & Co stage coach ride
- Harry Redford Comedy Show and Billy Can lunch
- Whip cracking and Sheep mustering
- Qantas museum
- Paddle wheeler Sunset and dinner cruise
- Australian Age of Dinosaurs Museum
- Waltzing Matilda Centre
- Flinders discovery centre
- Miners cottage
- Venus gold Battery
- Heritage listed ghost town
- Amazing sunsets with drinks and nibbles
Day 1 – Let the journey begin with Australia’s largest Rainforest
We will pickup at Mackay airport or train station. We head up the Pioneer Valley to Eungella passing the small sugar cane towns, stopping at the Pinnacle Pub for a refreshment break. Leaving there we head up the Great Dividing Range to Eungella Chalet for spectacular scenery. That afternoon we go to Broken River Mountain Resort nestled in Australia largest rain forest. There are rainforest walks beside the resort, which has the best viewing of Platypus in the world. After dinner we go spot lighting nocturnal animals in the rainforest with an experienced guide with wonderful knowledge of living in the bush and all that goes with it
Day 2 – Lets try a little fossicking
On our way to Barcaldine we will stop over at Hoods Lagoon in Clermont, where we will see the flood markers from the 1916 historic floods form a cyclone in the Whitsundays.
As we continue on we travel through the largest coal deposit region in Australia and view the massive drag lines as we pass a multitude of mines and coal trains as long as the eye can see.
We then arrive in the heart of the Gemfields, Rubyvale and try our hand at fossicking for sapphires.
We then venture through to the country town of Barcaldine home to the Tree of Knowledge, the reputed birth place of the labour movement in Australia and the location of the first Australian Shearer strike.
Here we join the Desert Dreaming Centre for an aboriginal experience with dinner, Corroboree and a tour of the Tree of Knowledge. This tree grew outside the Railway Station for about 180 years until 2006 when sadly, it was poisoned by an unknown culprit. The famous tree has been preserved and placed under an award winning structure that gives the illusion of a canopy over the Tree. The best view of the Tree and the memorial is at night when it is beautifully lit by special lighting. A visit at night will be a highlight of your trip.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner
Day 3 & 4 – Longreach – the real outback
Today we make our way to Longreach passing through Ilfracombe with streets lined with old machinery, a outback site to see.
We arrive in longreach and experience some of the iconic treasures Longreach has to offer.
- Cobb & Co stage coach ride – Live the past with all your senses as you ride the old Longreach-Windorah mail route. Hear the pounding hooves of the magnificent horses on the outback dirt road. Hear the rattle and creak of the coach. Hold on to your hat for the only stagecoach gallop in Australia!
- Harry Redford comedy show with a bill can lunch. A comedy with real outback humour.
- Thompson River Sunset cruise with a campfire dinner on the paddle wheeler – Board the only paddlewheeler west of the Great Divide and enjoy an adventure to the heart of outback tradition and legend. Ashore we enjoy a traditional stockman’s camp-fire dinner. This is the real outback experience with inspiring and humorous traditional entertainment featuring the barefoot bush poet.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Qantas Museum – This is where Qantas was born. The museum tells the story of Australia’s national airline, from its early days in Outback Queensland to present day. Characters of the early Qantas days, their pioneering spirit and the impact the airline had for all Australians, is brought to life through life size exhibits, historical artefacts and interactive displays including the National Heritage Listed Qantas Hangar.
- The Australians Stockman’s hall of fame live show – Wonder through the themed galleries, each one depicting an important aspect of our pioneering history. Then bring the experience to life with a Stockman’s life live show. Highlighting sheep mustering, whip cracking and outback humour with a musical touch of outback song to bring the atmosphere alive.
- Sunset drinks and nibbles on the river bank
On the odd occasion some experiences above may swap days. This is the outback after all and we will work in with her schedule.
Breakfast and dinner
Day 5 – Winton – the dinosaur capital of Australia
Explore the regions highlights
- Waltzing Matilda Centre in Winton, Outback Queensland tells the story of Waltzing Matilda, a song that lives in the hearts of all Australians as our unofficial anthem and the first museum in the world dedicated to a song.
- The Australian Age of Dinosaurs Museum is home to the largest collection of Australian dinosaur fossils in the world. Experience a world class tour with passionate museum tour guides. The tour includes preparation laboratories where a team of staff and volunteers bring these fossils back to life. We then go to the collection room where you are shown the best exhibits which are brought to life. A tour of dinosaur canyon which is a world class attraction set amongst white gums and cycads. Finish the day with drinks and nibbles over looking the surrounding area as the sun sets followed by a BBQ dinner
Breakfast and Dinner
Day 6 – Hughenden and Charters Towers
On our way to Charters Towers we pass through beautiful outback towns, marvel in the vast country side. Hughenden, a relaxed small town with a smile and a friendly wave on every corner.
We visit the Flinders Discovery Centre before heading to Charters Towers where we will enjoy drinks and nibbles at sunset on Tower hill over looking the beautiful country town.
Breakfast and lunch
Day 7 – Now lets try a little gold mining
Waking up to the smell of gold ….. that is todays adventure.
First on todays agenda, we visit the miners cottage and learn how to pan for gold. Then we follow Alan to the Venus gold Battery which offers an insight into the incredible Australian Gold Rush of the late 1870’s followed by a tour of this amazing little town, aka ‘the world’ because, back then, you could buy anything in the world here.
Ravenswood, a heritage listed ghost town, a national trust treasure, it was once a thriving gold mining town. Today it is a beautifully preserved, virtual ghost town with a couple of pubs, a general store and some small businesses. In the boom era the town had over 50 pubs and a population of over 5,000. Ravenswood is worth exploring. The mullock heaps, the old shafts, the chimneys, the rusting machinery and the historic buildings.
We will enjoy lunch at the Historical Imperial Hotel, built in 1901, and hopefully be graced by the presence of some unseen locals as Dunga spins some ghost tales of his own.
Next stop, the coastal town of Townsville. on our way to our accommodation we will cruise down The Strand, a 2.2km world-class beachfront promenade custom-built for enjoyment. Along this palm tree lined stretch are bike and walkway paths, safe swimming beaches, picturesque picnic spots, playgrounds, exercise stations, a water park and restaurants and bars with to-die-for water views.
Breakfast and Lunch
Day 8 – Highlights of Townsville
A time to say farewell over a sumptuous breakfast and remember the past weeks adventures.
Here some guests will say there farewells and depart for home and others will dust off the boots and done the sandals to continue on with the tropical tour to Magnetic Island and the Whitsundays.
This is a perfect time to start planning your next holiday
A tropical Experience.
A 5 day / 4 night tropical adventure from Magnetic Island to the beautiful Whitsunday Islands.
Explore tropical islands, snorkel fringing reefs and relax on beautiful Beaches.
Wave your mouse below and click for more information